Wednesday, 9 May 2012

Mother's Day is on it's way...


Soooo, What are your plans for Mother's day?

1- Maybe there is already big plans and you just have to show up.

2- Maybe you are the organiser and have a gazillion (that is an actual number right?) things to think about before Sunday arrives.

3- Maybe you have a real quite day planned to just cherish your family and being a mum/ or just cherish your mum.

I choose #3, however, I bet it  doesn't go down that way. Firstly because Mother's day isn't just about me, you know (however much I wish and hope and pray, hehehe.).
There were Mother's who came before me, and they must be paid their dues, just as in your home and most other homes on Mother's Day.


So What about a brunch for Mother's day (even though I said I'd never do a brunch again after the last one!), So cliche but, everyone loves brunch.

Brunch is also a great excuse to eat dessert for breakfast (and breakfast for breakfast too!).

But what do you accompany such a lovely Brunch with. Why of course a warming cup of tea on a fresh Autumn morning.

Mum will love a homemade cup of chai (well my mum won't, she likes to stick to black, but even if your mum doesn't like it she'll like the effort you went to to make it for her!).

I've been making a chai recipe for a couple of years now, I don't exactly remember where it came from (there are so many variations), but this one seems quite similar to how mine began.

Chai Tea:

Equipment:

Kettle
Saucepan
Mortar and Pestle
Sieve/ strainer
Large teapot

Ingredients:

3 Cinnamon quills
3t Cardamom pods (little t for a little teaspoon)
1t Cloves
1t black pepper
1t ground ginger (or fresh grated if you have it)
1L/ 2pints/ 4C water
3T (big T for Tablespoon)black tea leaves (or 8 tea bags if you don't have loose leaf)


Method:

Use your mortal and pestle to pound the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and black pepper (not to a powder) so they are crushed and the aroma is released, you could just break the cinnamon quills and squash the rest with the end of a rolling pin or something. Make sure you can smell them, if you can't smell your spice, then they have gone out of date- go get some fresh ones.

Pop them in your small saucepan with the ginger and cover with water.

Bring them to the boil, then turn off the heat.

Now it's time to add your tea leaves, pop them in and let them steep for about 5 minutes.

Strain into your large teapot and serve with warm milk.

I like to drink it half and half (half the cup filled with chai, half filled with warm milk), and honey is real nice in it too, but not essential, I really just love it as it is.

There are so many different ways to serve this tea.

I have a friend who enjoys drinking it black, another who likes a vanilla bean added to steep with the tea leaves.

Because I'm the only one who drinks chai in our home, I keep the teapot in the fridge, and it lasts me about a week depending on how much chai I feel like!


There is so much versatility with all tea, What tea are you liking at the moment, and how do you take it? Would you like to have a cup with me?

xRx

No comments:

Post a Comment